College-Level Examination Program (CLEP)
The Ohio Department of Higher Education (ODHE) proposed a statewide policy directive in 2011 regarding awarding college credit for College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams. Due to some concerns at that time, the directive was temporarily placed on hold. Discussion resumed in 2013, as part of the Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) with a Purpose initiative. CLEP was revisited by the Credit-by-Examination Working Group of the PLA with a Purpose Network. One of the recommendations from the Working Group was for the Ohio Articulation and Transfer Network (OATN) to revisit the CLEP policy directive on hold.
In response to the request, OATN and ODHE staff discussed further and suggested revised language for the directive. The revisions were shared with both OATN Advisory Council and Oversight Board members, and each group discussed further in 2015. At the December 2015 OATN Oversight Board meeting, the Board members recommended a process to develop a statewide CLEP policy. This process had statewide faculty panels making CLEP alignment recommendations for each exam, and the work was to be done in three phases.
- Phase I was announced in January 2017. View the announcement memo for the new policy.
- Phase II was announced in June 2017. View the annoucement memo for the new policy.
- Phase III was announced in December 2017. View the annoucement memo for the new policy.
CLEP Score Updates since original Implementation
CLEP Alignment Policy
CLEP Endorsed Alignments and Scores for 33 Exams (Original 2018 Approved Scores)
CLEP Articulation & Transfer Policy Manual Statement
Phase I: The credit granting policy for the 12 exams included in Phase I was fully implemented in the fall 2017 and was applied to students who were enrolled at a public institution of higher education in the fall of 2017 and had not had their CLEP scores evaluated for college credit. Continued work on Phase II began in spring 2017.
Phase II: The credit granting policy for the additional 12 exams included in Phase II was fully implemented by January 1, 2018 and was to be applied to students who were enrolled at a public institution of higher education in the winter/spring of 2018 and had not had their CLEP scores evaluated for college credit.
Phase III: The credit granting and no-granting policy for the additional 9 exams included in Phase III was to be fully implemented by May 1, 2018 and applied to students who were enrolled at a public institution of higher education in the summer of 2018 and had not had their CLEP scores evaluated for college credit.
Introductory Business Law (2016-2017); Introductory Psychology (2016-2017); English Literature (2017-2018); History of US I (2017-2018); College Mathematics (2017-2018); Chemistry (2017-2018); Social Sciences and History (2017-2018)
Details of these updates can be accessed through the College Board, CLEP website at https://groups.collegeboard.org/clep/.
July 9th, 2020 - Memo for the "Spanish With Writing" exam released in fall 2019.
Credit Awards by Public Colleges and Universities
Click on institution for Phase I, II, & III CLEP documents - Effective MAY 1, 2018
- Belmont College
- Bowling Green State University
- Central Ohio Technical College
- Central State University
- Cincinnati State Technical & Community College
- Clark State College
- Cleveland State University
- Columbus State Community College
- Cuyahoga Community College
- Eastern Gateway Community College
- Edison State Community College
- Hocking College
- Kent State University
- Lakeland Community College
- Lorain County Community College
- Marion Technical College
- Miami University
- North Central State College
- Northwest State Community College
- Ohio University
- Owens Community College
- Rhodes State College
- Rio Grande Community College
- Shawnee State University
- Sinclair College
- Southern State Community College
- Stark State College
- Terra State Community College
- The Ohio State University
- The University of Akron
- The University of Toledo
- University of Cincinnati
- Washington State Community College
- Wright State University
- Youngstown State University
- Zane State College