The One-Year Option permits students who have completed approved technical programs and who hold one or more Chancellor-approved industry-recognized credential to transfer up to 30 hours of technical credit to a public Ohio college or university. You may apply this credit toward the 30-credit technical requirement for an Associate of Technical Study (ATS) degree and may be able to complete the ATS degree in as few as two semesters of full-time non-technical coursework at a public Ohio college or university.
What You Need to Know
- The One-Year Option awards up to 30 college-level technical credits to students who complete an approved technical program at an Ohio Technical Center (and in some cases, a career-technical program offered at a high school) and hold one or more required industry-recognized credentials.
- Technical credit is awarded as non-course-specific credit and can be applied toward the technical requirement for an Associate of Technical Study (ATS) degree. The credit cannot be applied to any other degree.
- For programs of 900 clock hours or more, you will earn a block of 30 college-level technical credits. This will complete the technical requirement for the ATS degree. For programs of fewer than 900 clock hours, you will earn 20-29 technical credits and will need to complete additional technical coursework at your college or university.
- To complete the ATS degree, you will also need to earn 15 general education credits and 15 additional non-technical credits (e.g., introductory courses in Business, Communications, Health Sciences, etc.). If you have already earned the full block of 30 technical credits, you will be able to complete the ATS requirements in two semesters of full-time study.
- Since the One-Year Option applies to only one degree pathway, you should discuss your education and professional goals with an academic advisor at your college or university of interest to determine if the One-Year Option is right for you.
- Here’s how you can access credit through the One-Year Option:
- If you completed your technical program as an adult through an Ohio Technical Center: Submit your OTC transcript to your college or university, and contact its Office of Admissions or the Registrar to find out how to provide evidence of your industry-recognized credential(s).
- If you completed your technical program as a high school student: Complete this Secondary One-Year Option Program Completion Form and have your high school or career-technical center submit it to your college or university. Contact your college’s or university’s Office of Admissions or the Registrar to find out how to provide evidence of your industry-recognized credential(s).
- Note: The One-Year Option is currently only available to high school students who have completed a program in Cosmetology.
Other Opportunities for Credit
- Industry Recognized Credential Transfer Assurance Guides – Provides guaranteed transfer credit for the attainment of approved industry-recognized credentials
- Career-Technical Assurance Guides – Provides guaranteed transfer of credit for approved career-technical coursework taken through an Ohio high school, career-technical center, or Ohio Technical Center
- Ohio Transfer 36 – Provides guaranteed transfer of general education coursework among Ohio’s public institutions
- Transfer Assurance Guides – Provides guaranteed transfer credit for specific pre-major/beginning major coursework
- Military Transfer Assurance Guides – Provides guaranteed transfer credit for education completed through the military
- Ohio Guaranteed Transfer Pathways – Provide a clear path to associate degree completion and then to bachelor’s degree completion in a related major
Explore Your Transfer Options
You can find a list of technical programs that are approved for One-Year Option credit on this page.